Wednesday 3 May 2017

4 ways to add pops of colour to your home

I'm a neutral girl through to the core. When describing the colours in my home, I'd probably use the phrases ' off white', 'slightly grey', 'hint of purple',  'touch of green'....you get the picture. Neutral shades are sophisticated, blend well together and make any home look relaxing and homely.

I won't drone on any longer about how much I love neutral shades. I am starting to sound like that women who talks too much about her cat (spoiler alert - that's also me...). Whilst I love that neutral colours make homes brighter and cleaner, even I think that there can be too much of a good thing.




All white and pristine homes can look amazing in home decor magazines and on pinterest, but in reality, it's nice to add pops of your favourite colours to any home.
Here are some easy and simple ways to add pops of colour in your home

1) Add a feature wall

This one's a no-brainer. Painting or wallpapering one wall in a room a non neutral shade can really liven it up and make a statement. Whilst we do have a feature wall in our living room.....it's a neutral feature wall!! Given my fickle approach to decision making, I find it quite difficult to commit to a non neutral colour that's on the walls because it's not easy to change. Commitment and wall colours don't mix for me so I like to keep my walls neutral and add colour elsewhere.

The next ways to add colour to your home are easily done (and even better, easily removed when you get a little bored of it).

2) Throw cushions and blankets



Just a few colourful throw pillows can really change the mood of the room. It's that age old ratio for neutral to colour of 80:20 that shows that it doesn't take much of a certain colour in a room for it to be the theme. Especially with deeper and richer colours like red or orange.

To add pops of colour in our home, we have a few blush coloured  throw pillows on the living room sofa and some green throw pillows on our bed. We also have a green blanket that sits on the edge of our bed and a blush fluffy blanket for our living room that we keep on the edge of our sofa for that extra bit of warm colour added to the room.

My fiancé on the other hand is not a fan of throw cushions and complains that we have too many and that he isn't allowed to sit or lay on some of them ( don't tell him that I agree that they are a little pointless....but they are so pretty!)




3) Art and other wall pieces 

Adding colour to your home can be done in really subtle ways. Art on the walls is a really effective way of adding colour that most people don't think of. You can also add colour by picking colourful frames for your photographs.

When we got engaged I bought a custom designed green print that would go well in our bedroom and add a touch of green to the existing decor. I have a number of pieces from CocunuTacha that go really well and add colour to our white, grey and blush living room.

4) Trinkets and ornaments




Candle holders, vases, coasters and other trinkets are a fun and personal way to add colour. A house isn't a home without a few personal touches and I certainly love picking up small decor items for our home. We recently bought these beautiful monogrammed coasters from Oliver Bonas which have a touch of rose gold/ copper to add to our living room theme.



Let me know whether you have any tips for decorating your home. Since we have moved into to our own place I am obsessed with home decor!
Xx A xX

No comments:

Post a Comment